Saturday, July 29, 2006

Free Will

"It always seems inexplicable to me that those who claim free will so very boldly for man should not also allow some free will to God. Why should not Jesus Christ have the right to choose his own bride?"--Spurgeon

Rom 9:20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use?

Isa 29:16 You turn things upside down! Shall the potter be regarded as the clay, that the thing made should say of its maker, "He did not make me"; or the thing formed say of him who formed it, "He has no understanding"?

Jam 1:18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

Rom 10:20 And Isaiah boldly says, “I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.”

John 1: 12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Rom. 9: 16 It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.

Eph. 1: 11 In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will

1Cor. 1: 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him.

1 comment:

Denise said...

This was so very refreshing and dead on! And what a great quote from Spurgeon and itself so true! I am one who is a former Roman Catholic who was saved in a charismatic church which was where I first heard what I'd later come to know was Arminianism. It was only later when the Lord decided not to allow me to go to Bible college or seminary but instead trained me for the ministry independently that He would lead me to discover the Doctrines of Grace through the study of Scripture. I knew absolutely nothing of Calvinism or Arminianism, rather what I believe the Lord showed me over these years concerning this issue of man's so-called "free will" was that unfortunately many of the Reformers didn't move far enough away from the corrupt doctrine of man put forth by the apostate Church of Rome. This is not to denigrate these men at all, it is simply to remember how very difficult it must have been for them to have to turn their backs on the hue and cry of their day - "Man has a free will to choose Christ or not, and unity, God wants unity in the Body of Christ!" What might have happened if the Reformers had been like evangelical leaders today listening to this voice of Satan amplified as it is through self-centered man? Ah, it's not much different than today is it? The Truth never changes, one is either a slave sold to sin, or he has been chosen as one of the elect of Christ and is now a slave to the Master. O what a glorious freedom to have no will at all but that of serving our gracious God! soli Deo gloria!

Pastor Ken Silva
President
Apprising Ministries
http://apprising.org/